I sewed up a Named Shadi skirt tonight. Not the most exciting, but I need more basics and skirts for summer.
I cut it out the other day, but like most weeknights, I fell victim to the perils of crafting in small spaces and didn’t want to lug out and set up my machines.
It came out great and is extremely comfortable. I had some gray french terry I bought at Stitch for a Finlayson that never got made, so I used that. I should still have enough left for a sweatshirt as well. If not a hoodie, definitely a Linden.
I wasn’t sure about tucking in tops, since I thought you might see some wrinkles from the shirt through the knit, but it worked really well with this light rayon.
- Cut a size 12, graded to a 10 at the waist. The Named PDF pattern annoyingly wasn’t nested, and came 2 sizes per file. Of course, I am between sizes on two files. Since this is a simple skirt, I just printed the size 12 and guessed what the 10 would be based on the difference between 12 and 14 and graded accordingly.
- I folded out 2″ at the shorten line. I should have taken out more based on the pattern height (drafted for 5’8″ I think), because it was still about 1.5 or 2″ too long. I just took it off when hemming. I’ll apply that to the paper pattern when I make this again.
- Speaking of hemming, I just used a lightning stretch stitch and it’s nearly invisible, but this fabric also holds up well to a triple stretch stitch. I considered hemming by hand, but I got lazy.