It’s hard to work with other designers, especially when you’re marrying one (and maybe you happen to be a control freak). When we got engaged more than one friend told us “well whatever you do it will be very well designed.” PRESSURE.
Early on we decided the save the dates would be Mal’s job, and that they would be digital. That all quickly went out the window when we realized we like print collateral and sending mail. I also apparently had some design ideas kicking around my brain I wasn’t fully admitting. We kicked off the process with a logo, and collaborated by sending the files back and forth, refining each other’s work and adding on more details with each version. We ended up with a logo and card I’m really proud to have hanging on the refrigerators of our closest friends and families (and one couple’s coffee maker).
We also ended up blowing our $0 budget up to $150 for 35 card/magnet packages.
Here are some images of the logo process start to finish. I save all of my files (Digital Hoarder™) and enjoy looking back on the iterations.
1. Mal’s first sketch 2. & 3. I came back with some type and a slightly more elaborate and way too trendy idea 4. Mal came back with a much more elegant solution 5. The final logo – refined by both of us
The card came together pretty quickly and the process images aren’t as exciting. But here are the final designs! I have some production notes and photos for a future post!